Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Writer's Groups

I teach my writing students to get to know other writers of all genres.  This is great advice, just as getting to know other small business owners will benefit a small business owner.  Based on this advice, and the requests of several of my students, I am starting a writer's group!  I am very excited to be a part of this idea and am happy to organize our meetings.

Benefits of a writer's group:

  • Helps writers expand their experience by talking with other writers
  • Helps us learn the processes that other writers go through in their efforts and learn new techniques
  • Helps us meet really awesome people with a common interest
  • Gives us a new focus by allowing our work to be viewed by new eyes
  • Motivates us to stay on focus
  • Gives us valuable opportunities to receive criticism from others, as well as opportunity to stretch our thinking through critiquing others
I suppose I could go on and on with benefits of a writer's group, but I'll keep this short.  A few of my personal goals in starting this writer's group include:
  • Meet other writers.
  • Keep in touch with writers I already know.
  • Keep in touch with my writing students.
  • Expand my own experience by learning from others
  • Expand my idea base to enhance my own writing
  • Avoid boxing my writing in
Here again, I could go on, but the group, itself, will be more of a forum. I have a feeling my experience, and hence my goals, will change and expand through the group as it grows, whether in number or content.

I am working on our meeting place and will keep all interested parties informed.  Our first meeting is Wednesday, April 11 at 7:00 PM - location to be announced.  If you are interested in attending, please email me at tricia.johnson10@gmail.com and I'll be sure to put your email on my notification list.

Happy writing!
~Tricia

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Tricia . . . another great idea!

    ReplyDelete