Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Recommendation and a Book Review

I just finished one of the most fascinating books I've ever read.  It was on the "new book" shelf at my local library and I was intrigued by the title, Letters from Leaders.  Letters from Leaders is a compilation of letters the author, Henry O. Dormann, Chairman and Editor in Chief, LEADERS Magazine, requested from world leaders in politics, religion, business and philanthropy. Some of the letters, themselves, were hand-written by the people approached, on their company letterhead.  These letterheads were folded within the pages of the book, included with the print.
As I read this book, I could not help but see a strong pattern emerge.  I want to share my observations of this pattern, in hopes that you, as a writer, can sense what would make your pursuits in writing more successful.

My observations of the overriding keys to success from the leaders in this book:

1. Integrity
2. Ethics
3. Dreams
4. Respect for others - ALL others
5. Everyone needs leadership
6. Listening - requires one to stop talking
7. Be yourself - this takes courage.
8. Be a team player.
9. Focus on the success of others first.
10. Define your own success.

One of the most intriguing statements in the book was made by Theodore Forstmann, a billionaire investment pioneer, Chairman and CEO, IMG and Senior Founding Partner, Forstmann Little & Company. He said, "Don't ask me how to make a lot of money, because I don't even know. I don't even think that's a particularly worthwhile goal. Instead.......be aware of your own thought process.  Be true to yourself, because you don't have anything in the world but yourself."

My comment on that is simply that you are the only you.  Who you are is a gift from God, a uniqueness all your own.  As I type this, I'm reminded of #7 on my list above, "Be yourself - this takes courage."  It DOES take courage to be yourself because the world will attempt to mold you into something they are more comfortable with.  If the world is comfortable with me, I am not successful.

Carry on.
~Tricia


No comments:

Post a Comment