Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Writers, Are You Reading?

Writers, are you reading this summer? Reading is a "must do" for any writer, experienced or aspiring.  Reading expands your thinking, expands your vocabulary, exposes you to new ideas and styles of writing and helps your own writing improve by all these means.  One of the points in the writing class I teach is "Read to Write."

Summer is a great time to do some serious reading, at least in my life.  Actually, so if fall, winter and spring for that matter!  So far this summer, I have read:

The Devil in Pew Number Seven by Rebecca Nichols Alonzo with Bob DeMoss
      I couldn't put this book down!  It was a fantastic story of how far some people have the potential to go when controlled by their ego.

Memiors of a Holocaust Survivor, Icek Kuperberg by Icek Kuperberg
     I read Holocaust survivor books annually, several times throughout the year, actually.  While some parts are very hard to read because I can't imagine the horrors, I feel totally obligated to read them, thus keeping that horrid part of their history alive.  We must never forget.

Messy Church, a Multigenerational Mission for God's Family by Ross Parsley
     I started this book with great interest, but ended up scanning it for Truth.  The author, a pastor for more than 20 years, seems way too green to be realistic.The problem:  He assumes the Gospel is active in church members' lives......and nothing could be further from the truth for many church members.  Assuming the Gospel in anyone's life is a grave mistake.  It's not about church, it's about the Gospel of Christ.

Mistaken Identiry by Don & Susie Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen & Whitney Cerak
     This remarkable story is riveting, compounded by the very fact that it's true!  I've seen critics say their faith was too prominent and they just wanted the story, not the "preaching."  My opinion is that it's because of their faith they were able to cope with this tragedy with love and hope instead of bitterness and despair. In the introduction, they were very clear about their faith up front, so if one did not want to read a book on faith, they were warned ahead of time.

Last night, I went to the library and checked out:

Why I Left the Amish by Saloma Miller Furlong
     I really look forward to reading this.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
     I saw this movie, but never read the book.  It's time.

So, that's a summary of what I've been reading so far and plan to read in the next week or so. Read to write. You will be a better writer as a result.

~Tricia




No comments:

Post a Comment