Monday, November 5, 2012

Building Momentum - Keep it Going!

As an independent "indee" writer, I'm fully aware of the fact that I have to create and keep my own momentum going. How do you build your momentum?  How do you keep it going?  Mostly, I write because I have something to say. I currently have four different blogs, this one being my most professional.  My other blogs represent other areas of my life, be it theologycooking or crafting. I am also considering starting a photography blog as my interest in photography (and my related awards) is growing.


A few things I do to keep my momentum going might help you, too.

Write.  Even if I'm writing for writing's sake, I write. I don't publish everything I write. I don't publish a blog post every day, but I write every day. Writing, even for yourself, is a great way to keep your momentum going.

Publish. Whether you publish what you write as a facebook note or a blog, publish often. Search the internet for publishing outlets you have not previously used.  One of my favorites is Ezine Articles. I publish on there from time to time to keep my momentum going, keep my name out there and keep myself sharp and fresh.

Branch Out. Branching out from your normal writing avenues is a great way to challenge yourself in new areas. Write a "how to" article and submit it to an article hub. Submit information to Wikipedia. Start a new blog. There are many, many more things you can do to branch out. You won't be sorry. Stretching your talent will increase your talent. You'll just get better and better.

Talk it Up.  Word of mouth is still the best way to spread the word about your writings. Talk to friends, co-workers, relatives, restaurant servers, etc.  Talk it up and watch it expand. Keep everything current in social media....it's moving fast and has a momentum all its own. Take full advantage of its momentum.

Never Fear.  Fear is probably the biggest obstacle to writing and publishing. I know fear and how it can stop you, make you hesitate and be extremely intimidating. But, once you get in the practice of working through you fears, you will find them easier and easier to overcome.

Celebrate Accomplishments.  Last week, I got a check in the mail for one article I sold, word from my editor that she was buying another and sold some of my Kindle books online! I celebrated all these accomplishments, which motivated me to write more.  I'm fully aware that to get another check in the mail, I need to keep writing. Results are motivating.

Momentum = a good thing.
~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment