Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Edit, Anyone?

I read a few blogs regularly and those blogs often introduce me to new blogs. Today, a Facebook post led me to a fashion blog and it looked interesting and informative enough to click on. Fashion is important, to a point - the point where I don't go around looking like an idiot or dressing too young, etc. That can be challenging, though, since clothes in the junior department fit me best. It's not always convenient to be short.

The fashion blog held a lot of useful information, but this young blogger desperately needs an editor. We can certainly look past a few typos, but this gal had no clue how to use the English language. She needs an editor.

We all need an editor. I can't tell you how many times I've written a blog post, reread it several times, posted it, then came back and found typos or other errors! It happens to everyone.

I'm not just irritated at poor, unedited writing. I'm also frustrated for the writer because, in the long run, it will affect her success. Poor writing skills affect everyone's success, especially if we promote ourselves as writers. It pays to look like we know how to write. It pays to edit. If you're not confident to edit your own blog posts, have a friend look them over, or trade editing services with another writer who needs the same. Nothing can replace an objective eye looking at your work.

Editing is simple.
Practice it regularly.
You won't be sorry.

~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment