Saturday, March 26, 2016

Why I Write #1

I saw a post on another writing blog today which totally inspired me to write about reasons I write. The post I saw, here, was a Facebook post by The Writer's Circle and it said, "Why I Write #85 Because creating something that didn't exist before is as close to magic as I'll ever get."

I love that!

I also love to write but have never actually written out my reasons for writing. So, I decided to start a blog series on why I write. I suspect some reasons will need more explanation than others. These reasons aren't in any particular order, I'm simply listing them as I think of and realize them.

Why I write #1:

I write because I can.

Growing up in an abusive home where I did not have many choices, writing was a choice I could make that no one could stop. If home wasn't conducive to writing, school was. If neither home nor school worked, my hollow tree down by the creek did. When the field was snow covered and the tree was unreachable, the hayloft in the barn served as my writing venue.

I wrote everything as a child. I wrote stories. I wrote lists. I wrote reports. I wrote plays. I wrote my name, my siblings' names, my grandma's name. I wrote and wrote and wrote.

I wrote because I could.

I could, so I did.
I can, so I still do.

(Photo credit goes to Alan DeRaad, a former student.)

Write well.
Write often.
Write because you can.
Just write.
~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment